Records & FOIA
- Public Records. Pacific Information Resources has
put together a site that links to nearly 12,000 searchable public record databases
nationwide, broken down by state.
- FOIA Requests. The Reporter's Committee
for Freedom of the Press has a fill-in-the-blanks program that instantly generates a
properly constructed request under the federal Freedom of Information Act.
- State Public Records Requests. The
Student Press Law Center, following the FOIA letter generator idea developed by the
Reporter's Committee, has created a similar site that tailors public records requests for
all 50 state open records laws.
- State Public Access Laws. The
Reporter's Committee provides the text for open meetings and public records laws in each
- Electronic Records Access. The Reporter's
Committee provides details on access to electronic records, with state-by-state breakdown.
- Vital Records. This site provides details on how to
access vital records (birth, death, marriage and divorce) from any state/county (note:
actual records are not available online).
- Death Index. Ancestry Inc., a
genealogical firm, makes the Social Security Death Index available.
Return to Home Page